Thursday, March 20, 2008

Strange things in this modern world

Okay, so today I was hurrying out of the ICU to head back to the church office to try, on this Maundy Thursday, to have some sort of a start on an Easter sermon (okay I wasn't hurrying that much, I really didn't want to get back.) I passed by the hospital chapel - one of many I pass - we have 5 different hospitals that folks regularly end up at. I regularly forget which hospital has what where. Anyway, the sign on the chapel door was advertising various holy week activities, but one really caught my eye. "Interfaith Worship celebrating Good Friday and Easter, 12:30 p.m. Friday." Umm- there's pretty much something wrong with all of that. Interfaith?? And why Friday? To bring together hospital staff who are away on Sunday?? But mostly I really want to know how one worship can celebrate Good Friday AND Easter. I think I can no longer get so cranky about churches that want to have tenebrae on Thursday (although really, can't we just let them have their last supper - he'll die soon enough!)
Celebrating Easter on Good Friday. That's a new one for me!

No comments: