Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday Five: Word Association, Redux
This one is patterned off an old Friday Five written by Songbird, our Friday Five Creator Emerita:Below you will find five words. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem or a story.1. vineyard2. root3. rescue4. perseverance5. divided(Each of these appears in one of the readings from this Sunday's lectionary.)

Vineyard... I don't have a whole lot of experience with vineyards - around here they supply the rich and famous with getaways and tourists with leisure activities. My favorite vineyards are probably the grape vines my midwestern uncle and aunt and grandmother have in their gardens - a supply for some of the sweetest and strongest homemade wines you've ever tasted, which grace family gatherings with tastes of sun in a glass.

Root... there's that saying about giving your kids roots and wings. I'm so not ready for any wings, but that's because they're still little. Roots are terribly important to me. Tremendously important. Especially after recent deaths in our extended family - I want to dig as deep as I can, for me and my kids, to anchor us and connect us. Strong roots make for greater growth and more blooms and fruit.

Rescue... is something I resist having done to me or doing to others. In most cases. Then I lose my mind and think I'm Jesus all over again.

Perseverance... is a word that makes me want to take a nap and eat some carbs.

Divided... is a depressing word that describes my community and world too aptly, and I'm irritated that Jesus uses it this week as part of his self-description of his mission on earth. Ugh. I'm UCC and I'm all about unity so this stinks. The message version says "disrupt and confront" instead of divide, which isn't any easier but still somehow better for me. I'd look up the Greek but I have a funeral today and a wedding tomorrow and a sermon the next day that are not prepared yet.

whoo- hoo - my First Friday Five. Here's to many more to come!

12 comments:

Maria Tafoya said...

Loved your response to perseverance! :-)

Mary Beth said...

Welcome to the Five!

I don't think I'm Jesus, I just think I'm Flash Gordon. ("He can save every one of us...")

the two of us might make a great team!

Rev SS said...

Great first Friday Five! Thanks.

chartreuseova said...

carbs and a nap sound good, let's just call it carb-loading and tapering.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Welcome to Friday Five!

rev h-d said...

Great first five! I too have the savior complex from time to time.

Rev. Sharon said...

Congrats on your first Friday Five! Your response to Rescue resonated very strongly with me... I get that same problem from time to time. :-)

RevAnne said...

I have a friend mentor who listens to my angst and replies, "But you know, you are not in fact Jesus Christ!"
with you on perseverance as well.

RevDrKate said...

Great first play, thanks and welcome!

DogBlogger said...

Great play! And welcome to the Friday Five!

Rev. Zookeeper said...

Thank you all for your comments - how exciting to have company visiting!

leah said...

Hi, I came over here from Lectionary Laanings, and then discovered this was your very first Friday Five, so congrats!!!